ASAPconnect - Promoting collaboration. Advancing excellence
ASAPconnect is an indispensable resource to help California out-of-school-time professionals provide children and youth with more growth opportunities. ASAPconnect links after school programs with assistance providers so you can partner more effectively, expand capabilities and improve program quality.
Raise Your Voice on Behalf of English Learners: February 14, 2013
The Common Core Standards are a great opportunity to make a significant difference for English Learners, but ONLY if we pay attention to the following:
With the Common Core Standards, all teachers will need to support active, academic language development. So teachers need:
- professional development, coaching and support in the language strategies needed for active language engagement and academic language development in the classroom.
- appropriate curriculum and supplementary materials to support academic and oral language development across the curriculum.
- relief from using curriculum and strategies that are mostly teacher-directed, teacher-talk, and support for using collaborative, interactive, inquiry-based pedagogy instead.
You can't build rigor on a weak foundation! In order for the Common Core to work for English Learners, schools need to provide a basic foundation of English Learner support, including:
- strong ELD instruction with appropriate materials and professional development.
- teacher professional development on providing English Learner access to core content by focusing on academic language development, scaffolding and differentiation strategies for varying English proficiency levels.
- guidance and support for implementing strong research-based English Learner program models, including dual language and bilingual alternative options.
See attached for more information: